Saturday, March 23, 2013

Expanding My Horizons - A Sogetsu Class

Relatively recently, I decided to take classes in Sogetsu, a more "freestyle" Japanese style of flower arranging. This is because my Kado teacher, Marcia Shibata Wang, is only able to come to NYC a few times a year. I found a new teacher, Hazue Tamura-Rogers, who is certified at the highest level of the Sogetsu school of Ikebana, and who has exhibited in Japan, the US, and Australia. She has even exhibited at the Japanese Ambassador's house when one of the princes of Japan was visiting!

So far, Sogetsu class has been different from kado, in that the arrangement occurs more speedily. In my view, there is less of an emphasis on mindfulness, since it isn't a meditative practice, but rather more of a hobby. Due to that, there is more emphasis on the form (there seem to be more basic forms) but still a lot of emphasis on process (but less than in kado). I'm still working on my level 1 certification, which involves practicing moribana (the arrangements in the wide bowls that you've seen thus far) and nageire (in tall vases-- more of a balancing).

No comments:

Post a Comment